TWPC Header
Click here for Home Page Click here for the Parish Council Pages, containing Minutes, Planning, Councillors & Council History You are on the Parish page Click here to find out more about the services in Thanington Without Click here to see the gallery of photos old and new of Thanington Without Click here to find contact links, telephone numbers, information and web sites
Parish History

Written History
South Ward History
Documents
Newspaper Cuttings

Within the Parish

Business in Thanington
St Nicholas Church
Milton Church
Hilltop Community Association
A. R. C. A.
T. N. R. C.

Around the Parish

Larkey Valley
River Stour
Fishing Lakes
Hambrook Marsh
Footpaths
Roads in Thanington

Valid CSS! Thanington Without Parish Council Web Site is a Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Milton Church, Thanington Without

Milton Church, Thanington Without    Milton Church, Thanington Without    Milton Church, Thanington Without

Hasted, writing just before 1800, tells us a little about the small 12th century church at Milton which was within the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the diocese and deanery of Canterbury. The tiny church was once dedicated to St. Nicholas but later it was rededicated to St. John the Baptist. It consists of a small aisle and chancel and is hardly more than a chapel, which indeed it was throughout the middle ages when it as part of the nearby manor *. It has a small stone pinnacle at the west end with a single bell. It has changed little over the centuries, and today is rarely used except occasionally in the summer. It is now redundant and is in the grounds of The Brett Group who kindly sponsor our web site.

Click for larger picture              Click for larger picture              Click for larger picture              Click for larger picture

In 1384 it was valued at 66/8p. And by 1588 it was valued at £ 20, when recorded that there were only twelve communicants, all probably from the manor.

An entry from the Church records of 1569 reads:
"Rectory in the patronage of ..Browne, Esq.< rector dom robert rose. he is not married has no other benefices, does not preach, not a graduate. he is undermaster (inferior informatos) of the grammar school in the town of sandwich, where he resides. house holder 1, communicants 17."

In 1640 the value was £ 30 and there were 10 Communicants. The patrons since the reign of Elizabeth were the lords of the manor.

The church was restored in 1829 by the local patron John Bell who installed a new font. The church was further repaired in 1851. In 1893 two parishioners shared all the parish offices and by this time (1934) the rectory had been added to Thanington.
  • Given by Egelric Biggs in 1044 to Christ Church, Canterbury.
There are several graves in the cemetery:

Alfred Lake d. 1860
Mary Lake d. 1861
Robert Lake d. 1883
and his wife
Thomas Lake d. 1888
The Vaults are now close for Health and Safety reasons

Click for larger picture            Vault layout at Milton Church, Thanington Without

Recently the church has been made redundant, but has been repaired by Brett's. Its further use has not been decided.

The very old tithe barn at Milton is one of the largest and finest in Kent.

Date Patrons Rectors
1576
1597
1604
1661-1669
1669-1684
1684-1715
1715-1737
1737-1764
1764-1770
1770
Thomas Browne Esq.
The Queen, by lapse
Robert Honeywood Esq.
Sir Thomas Honeywood
Thomas Honeywood Esq
John Honeywood Esq
Is Rebow and his wife
Robert Honeywood Esq
Philip Honeywood Esq
Simon Somerfall
William Hawkins
Thomas Jackson
Gregory Fulford A.M.
John Crocker A.M.
Alexander Middleton A.M.
Robert Nunn A.B.
William Brodrip A.M.
John Tucker A.M.
John Gostling A.M.